Saturday, April 01, 2006

Wi-Fi Watering Holes: Panera Bread

I've been to the Santa Monica Panera Bread (on Wilshire) and the Westchester one (on Sepulveda, south of Manchester); but I've only used the wi-fi at the Westchester one.

A big disadvantage of the Santa Monica location is that they turn off the wi-fi between 12 and 2, so that the wi-fi folks don't interfere with the lunch crowd.

Advantages: bright chain-restaurant location, not as funky-grungy as some WFWH's. Very close to LAX; a good place to hang out while waiting to pick someone up (since you can't wait at the terminal without a boarding pass these days). Comfortable seats. Good food. Decent coffee drinks. Pretty good access to wall outlets. Big parking lot in the back.

Disadvantages: Fairly crowded, even on a weekday. The wi-fi signal was low, and the service rather slow; that may have been because I was using the office laptop (about five years old) and a USB wi-fi adaptor without a high-speed USB port. The table bussers began nagging me about taking my plate after about an hour, even though I was still snacking on bread as I computed.

No comments: