Saturday, October 13, 2007

"Perfecting" Ann Coulter

I'm a bit hesitant to comment on Ann Coulter. My general policy is not to comment on writing I haven't read, and I don't read Coulter's writing -- as I generally limit the poison I take in my literary diet.

But I've read enough articles to know that she specializes in outrageous comments that seem designed to offend and call attention to her and her writing -- like a pet who signals her annoyance by piddling on the carpet.

According to the LA Times:
"The latest furor erupted over an exchange Coulter had Monday with CNBC host Donny Deutsch on his show, 'The Big Idea,' during which she said the country would be better off if everyone were Christian. When Deutsch -- who is Jewish -- asked if she wanted to get rid of Judaism, Coulter responded, 'We just want Jews to be perfected.'"

This comment about my people makes me wonder several things. First, whether this will be the comment that finally turns people off from her sideshow, and allows her to fade into obscurity. Second, how many ignorant bigots will cheer her for it. And finally, how my late Uncle Dave would have responded to her comments, based on my father's blog post about Uncle Dave's pointed riposte to a customer who uttered similar remarks.

1 comment:

Mike Barer said...

I would question the merits of her response, first of all, there are warring Christian factions and if everyone was Christian there would be more. I would also question how Conservatism interfaces with the teachings of Jesus. I would think that the Democratic Party would be more in line to that effect. Finally, the bastard innkeeper who kept out an unwed pregnant couple was no doubt a Republican.