Saturday, September 20, 2008

Throwing Stones in Glass Houses of Journalism

While we're on the subject of journalism (see below): A front-page story in one of this week's issues of The Daily Journal, the local legal newspaper, discussed a class-action suit by past and present reporters of the L.A. Times against Sam Zell. The article itself, however, was not a sterling example of reporting. Not only did the reporter (who shall remain nameless here, mainly because I don't have a copy of the article in front of me) use "buyout" multiple times as a verb rather than a noun, but his lede stated that the plaintiffs were six "past and present" Times reporters. Later in the article, he explained that some of the plaintiffs were present reporters, and some of them were past employees -- thus removing the confusion of how the plaintiffs could be both past and present reporters.

2 comments:

Beep said...

Interesting. I don't know if you've heard about the journalistic drama up here in our neck of the woods, but one of the oldest papers in the country (I think), the Santa Barbara News-Press, was bought out (I think that grammatical construction is ok ;) ) by a wealthy woman whose handling of the paper has been very controversial. The end result is that a lot of folks like me who grew up reading that paper are now getting our news from other sources, particularly online sources. The whole mess even has its own Wikipedia entry! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Barbara_News-Press_controversy I have not had the opportunity to see "Citizen McCaw", the film that was made regarding this situation. I gather there have been plenty of lawsuits to go around as well.

Danny Barer said...

I have heard of the Santa Barbara situation.