Saturday, December 23, 2006

Holidays Can be Happy

A recent "Character Counts" commentary by Michael Josephson echoes some of my thoughts about those who rage about the greeting "Happy Holidays" as if it is a knife thrusting at the heart of Christmas. Josephson notes he received militant letters from readers when he signed a recent mass e-mail, "Happy Holidays."

"One militant note said: 'This is the Christmas season, not the Holiday season' and closed by wishing me a Merry Christmas.

"In my reply, I accepted his Christmas wish with grace and gratitude, but I pointed out that though Christians own Christmas, they don’t own December. Since I and my family celebrate Hanukkah during this same period, wishing me a Happy Hanukkah would have been even more appreciated.

"I agree with concerns that the true meaning of Christmas is often diluted and demeaned in a commercialized fervor to celebrate giving and getting gifts. It’s disgraceful when Santa and his bag of toys play a more prominent role than Jesus and his teachings.

"This troubling trend, however, isn’t caused by using a generic holiday greeting, especially when it’s intended to be inclusive and respectful of a diverse audience. And using moral coercion to induce everyone to wish everyone else a Merry Christmas would only transform the greeting into a hollow, insincere ritual.

"Among Christianity’s great gifts to the world is the Christmas spirit, a way of thinking and being that reflects transcendent values taught by Jesus, especially love, unity, acceptance, and forgiveness. These values uplift and inspire Christians and non-Christians to care more for others and live better lives. We shouldn’t allow this spirit to be hijacked in a misguided zeal for orthodoxy."

Happy Holidays, everyone.

No comments: