Saturday, December 30, 2006

Wi-Fi Watering Hole Wandering

I'm currently writing this post from Cafe Balcony, one of my favorite wi-fi watering holes, located in Santa Monica. I'm sitting in a slightly-uncomfortable chair at a slightly-too-small marble -topped table in the window, savoring a nonfat green tea latte and clicking away.

Why do I like WFWHs? They allow me to perform computer-required tasks -- both work-related and entertainment-related (like this post) -- but let me get out of the house to do them. Plus, the people-watching can be fun.

To help fellow WFWH fans, I've added a wi-fi hotspot directory at the bottom of my blog. If you're on a laptop, you can insert your location and find the WFWH's in the vicinity.

I was tempted to add my tips for creating a superior WFWH. But the folks at JiWire have published this article, which echoes most of my recommendations. One thing I'd add: I am turned off by signs that set forth time restrictions on wi-fi use, or those that ask users to spend a certain amount for food or drink for every hour that they are present. The reason to offer wi-fi is to encourage folks to set at your establishment long-term, with the idea that while they're there they will buy food and beverages. If you have a problem with folks lingering, perhaps you shouldn't offer wi-fi.

No comments: