Saturday, January 02, 2010

Steamanime

In preparation for my participation in steampunk panels at next weekend's Anime Los Angeles, I've been compiling a list of steampunkesque anime and manga (without actually, y'know, doing research on the subject). Anyway, here is the list I came up with off the top of my head, and if anyone has any other suggestions, I'd welcome them:

Castle in the Sky: Laputa
Steamboy
Steam Detectives
Nadia: The Secret of Bluewater
Galaxy Express 999/Galaxy Railways
Sakura Wars
Last Exile
Robot Carnival (segment with Victorian English giant robot vs. Japanese giant robot)
Tegami Bachi: Letter Bee
Heat Guy J (just to the extent it features a steam-powered android)
Ponyo (specifically, Fujimoto, the 150-year-old undersea mad inventor)

I'm leaving out shonen series that have anachronistic mashups of technology with little rhyme or reason, such as OnePiece, Naruto, and Fairy Tail.

2 comments:

Donald Burr of Borg said...

Not sure if any of these qualify (depends on one's definition of steampunk I suppose... plus it's been a while since I watched some of them, so my memory might not be serving me correctly)

D.Gray Man
Gankutsuo: The Count of Monte Cristo
The Big O (designs of the cockpit, etc. feel vaguely steampunkish to me anyway)
Kino's Journey (parts of it anyway)
Samurai 7
Spirit of Wonder (maybe... parts of it... it's been years since I saw it)
and I'd say many other Miyazaki movies could possibly be considered steampunkish - Nausicaa, Porco Rosso (maybe), etc.
Metropolis
IIRC one of the segments in "MEMORIES" (Cannon Fodder) felt somewhat steampunkish to me

that's all I can think of at the moment... i'm tired, bedtime

Danny Barer said...

Yes! D'oh! "Spirit of Wonder" is definitely steampunk. Nausicaa has elements of it (especially the use of Tsarist Russian costumes and weapons in the future).