Sunday, October 17, 2010

My Father Makes (a) Book

In the benign sense of the phrase.

I've been working on compiling posts from my father's blog (http://www.abarer.blogspot.com/) into a paperback book, published on Lulu.com. An initial edition was not formatted to my tastes, and so I spent this afternoon reformatting the manuscript and uploading it.

If this edition is satisfactory, I'll post the URL for purchasing the book. We will be making it available at cost, with no markup.

Just a few years ago, putting together this sort of project would require paying hundreds or thousands of dollars to a publisher or "vanity press"; and the result would be an ungainly-looking pamphlet. Today, a service such as Lulu.com provides the software tools for putting together a professional-looking perfect-bound paperback, with a color cover, for no money upfront. Money is paid only when a book is ordered and printed.

In an era in which the entire traditional book publishing and distribution industry is in jeopardy, I'm glad that services such as this are available to help people preserve history via the written word.

1 comment:

A Barer said...

Thank you Danny for all of your technical and plain hard work work on this.

I come from an era when people saw Dick Tracy use his wrist radio and say that it was great for comics but never in reality.

Oh well, in one era and out the other.

Couldn't have done this without you help.

Dad (A Barer