Sunday, May 13, 2007

My New Wheels



One of the consequences of being a middle child was that I never had a new bicycle. I only obtained my own bike during college, when I bought a used bike from a friend who was heading back to Europe -- and I only enjoyed that purchase for two weeks before the bike was stolen from the UCLA campus.

Now, in my '40's, with two car purchases under my belt, I'm finally ready -- to buy a new bicycle.

Here it is. I picked it up at Helen's Cycles in Santa Monica (which has great service) yesterday. It's a cruiser-style mountainbike. Since I've little intent to actually bike in rough terrain, I had test-drove a couple of cruiser-style street bikes (which reminded me of the Huffy bike I first rode as a little kid); but I found this one the easiest to handle.

My ambition and plan is to ride the bike down the Santa Monica Beach bikepath on beautiful weekend mornings. That, for me, is one of the ultimate Southern California living experiences.

1 comment:

Mike Barer said...

That is great that you got the new bike, on Santa Monica beach I would probably be distracted and run into a pole.