Thursday, June 23, 2005

Family Photo from the '80's

My brother Steve had this photo up on his blog. Somehow, it's dropped off, so I scanned my copy of the photo and posted it. It was taken at his Bar Mitzvah during the summer of 1984.

This photo is historically significant for several reasons:

-- Due to family living away from home, and my mom passing away in '97, this is one of the last photos of me, my siblings, and my parents together.

-- This is one of the last photos I have of my mom standing up. (She was in a wheelchair from '85 on.)

-- On a lighter note, it shows me with the moustache I had (without a beard) from '84 through '91. I was clean-shaven from '91 to 2002; and have sported my current goatee since the fall of 2002.

Incidentally, I videotaped the Bar Mitzvah with a rented videocamera (Betamax, since it was 1984). I'm therefore the only family member who doesn't show up in the videotape. I'm glad the photo was taken, so people know I was there at all!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember that bar mitzvah. Okay, what I remember is the reception, because you asked me and Cecily to help serve the food and drinks. We both thought the mustache was cute :)

Anonymous said...

Since the picture was taken in 1984, Mother was not in a wheelchair at the time. Mother was very upset (and rightfully so) that I did not wear a tie. It was Grandmother Barer's last event out. Uncle Dave and Phil Siegel were not at the backyard pic nic on Sunday because they were golfing.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, You had it correct on Mother.
.

Anonymous said...

Last comment, I promise! It was the first time that I got to see Burl's newly adopted son, Jordan.

Anonymous said...

I took the picture down because when I see it I get verklempt.
(Twalk amonst yourselves)

Danny Barer said...

Bevely: I do remember you and Cecily helping out at the reception. (Have you heard how Cecily is doing these days? Last I heard of her was when she was getting married . . . .)

Mike: I don't recall if that was the first time I met Jordan. I do know the last time I saw him was in 1998, when he was in high school. I'm sure he's an adult now.

Steve: What's our subject? "The Holy Roman Empire was neither Holy nor Roman nor an Empire"?

Anonymous said...

Well yes, Jordan has grown up to be a good looking young man. If you check Burl's blog, there is a picture of the two.