Saturday, December 31, 2005

Reflections on 2005

Since I was born in a year ending with a five (1965, to be exact), years ending with zeros and fives tend to be exceptionally momentous ones for me. This was no exception. Some stuff that happened this year:

-- I turned 40 - and survived.

-- I started -- and amazingly, maintained -- this blog. And survived.

-- My brothers, my cousins Tod Goldberg and Burl Barer, and likely millions of others started blogs too. I commenced communicating with several family members electronically.

-- I had no published (i.e., put in the law books) appellate decisions. That is the first time that has happened since 1999. I hope to have a couple in 2006.

-- I participated in a six-week trial that was written up in the LA Times, the Associated Press, and the local TV and radio news. I used the phrase "roman a clef" in a brief, and it was quoted in a newspaper. (Now I just have to be quoted using the words motif, vis-a-vis, and theme, which will drive Tod Goldberg crazy.)

-- I celebrated eight years of marriage. (Yay!)

-- Amy and I vacationed in Seattle, where we spent lots of time with family members and with our friends Rick and Beverly.

-- We went to several conventions, including an Anime Expo that was Amy's Best. Convention. Ever.

-- We went to several terrific concerts, by folks like U2, David Byrne, Si Se, and the Arcade Fire.

-- I saw a lot of fun movies, including Sin City, Batman Begins, Fantastic Four, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Good Night and Good Luck, The Ice Harvest, and Howl's Moving Castle.

Let's see what 2006 brings.

No comments: