Saturday, September 06, 2008

Seinfeld on Evidence

A Maryland appellate court judge recently made headlines by citing a scene from the "Seinfeld" sitcom as an example of the implied covenant of good faith and fair dealing.  That brought to my mind the monologue Seinfeld did at the beginning of one of his episodes about lawyers -- one that I still think of when I make objections to evidence:

What are lawyers really ? To me a lawyer is basically the person that knows the rules of the country. We're all throwing the dice, playing the game, moving our pieces around the board, but if there's a problem, the lawyer is the only person that has actually read the inside of the top of the box. I think probably the most fun thing a lawyer can do is say, "Objection". "Objection! Objection, Your Honor!" Objection, of course, is the adult version of " 'fraid not!" To which the judge can say two things. He can say, "Overruled", which is the adult version
of " 'fraid so". Or he can say "Sustained", which is the adult version of "Duh."

Filesharingtalk.com Archive - Seinfeld Monologues

1 comment:

Beep said...

LOL! I love legal dramas, if I can watch them from the safety of my bedroom, but volunteered to be in a mock trial when I worked one summer at the US Dept. of Justice, and the US-attorney-in-training ripped me into shreds! I left the courtroom in tears and it was a made-up scenario!