Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Wi-Fi Watering Holes: First Cup Caffee

This cafe is conveniently located across the street from the Ronald Reagan State Office Building on Spring Street in Downtown LA, where the Second District Court of Appeal is located. It features an impressive selection of breakfast and lunch type foods (all with a French theme), along with pastries, cakes, and cookies. The eating space is large for a downtown coffeehouse, and includes an area with leather couches and overstuffed chairs in the back. There's also a banquet room.

The wi-fi situation was odd when I visited there today. The cafe had a password protected wireless network. When I asked the lady behind the counter for the password, she checked with several employees before one (the manager?) came over and advised me to use the non-password-protected network for the restaurant next door.

I sat at the cafe working from about 1:30 to 4:00. After the lunch crowd faded I was the only customer there. The staff had no problem with me sitting there for a couple of hours hunched over a laptop and taking calls.

This place is a boon to attorneys and other folks who have business at the RRSOB.

No comments: