Wednesday, November 11, 2009

The Book Nook

This evening, I walked over to my local Barnes & Noble and pre-ordered a Nook. (And felt a bit like a Nook Shnook for doing so. The information booth guys just went onto the B&N Website to order the thing. I could have done that. From home.) Because I ordered today, they said, I'd go onto the waiting list and had a good chance of getting my Nook by, oh, about December 21. (Of this year, thankfully.)

I opted for the Nook, instead of the Kindle, primarily because the Nook purportedly handles pdf files better than the base-model Kindle (which costs the same as the Nook). I foresee using the device mainly for work. Nowadays, all federal district and appellate court documents are served in pdf form; and we scan a lot of the state court filings. I'd rather carry a wafer-thin electronic reader into court than a thick file or a box of 300-page appellate record volumes.

Of course, I'm buying the thing sight unseen, so I'll have to wait and see whether the Nook lives up to its hype; or whether it will just sit in its nook.

3 comments:

Donald Burr of Borg said...

Interesting. So you went with the Nook eh? I'd be curious to hear your review of the device. I'd be even curiouser to take a gander at it in person - assuming you get it in time, I don't suppose you'd be willing to bring it one day to Anime LA so I could take a peek at it? Pam and I are Kindle users (I bought Pam a refurbished Kindle for her birthday, and I have the Kindle DX) and would be interested in a comparison.

Mike Barer said...

The legendary "Book Nook" was in Walla Walla for years. The amazing thing was that it was not a book store.

Danny Barer said...

Don: I'll try to remember to bring the Nook to Anime L.A. (if I get it by then). Since ALA is having "Steampunk Sunday," I'll try to download a Jules Verne novel onto it.