Saturday, February 12, 2011

Wi-Fi (Maybe) Watering Holes: Balconi Coffee

Those who have been reading this blog for a while (and if you have, thanks) may recall that in its early years I often reviewed coffee joints in the L.A. area that provided free wi-fi. I've had fewer in recent times, because I haven't found many new ones, and several older ones I reviewed succumbed to an economy that encouraged folks to brew beverages at home. Plus, since Starbucks gave in and began offering free wi-fi last year, there's less incentive for independent coffee houses to distinguish themselves by offering the service.

I am happy, however, to report that one of my favorite WFWHs has come back from the great beyond. Two years ago, Cafe Balcony in Santa Monica lost its lease. Recently, it has come back as Balconi Coffee Company. Better yet, it is located in the Olympic Collection at Sawtelle and Olympic Blvds in West Los Angeles -- close to my office.

I'm hesitating to recommend it as a wi-fi watering hole, because I'm not sure if it offers wi-fi yet. Once it does, I'll be happy to add it to my WFWH list once again.

No comments: