Saturday, June 09, 2007

Full of Ballona





This morning, I had the two flat tires (the front one had a slower leak, so I didn't discover it was flat until today) on my bike fixed -- and thorn-resistant inner tubes installed. I celebrated by riding my bike over to Duquense Street in Culver City, and then taking the Ballona Creek bike path for about five-six miles, all the way over to Playa Del Rey just north of Loyola Marymount University and south of the LAX courthouse. As you can see, the scenery (captured on my Treo's camera) is not quite as nice as that seen from the beach bike path (bodies of water always look better when they're surrounded by concrete, don't they?), but it is a pleasant ride (with lots of rises and dips), and it cuts across Culver City and Playa Del Rey. I could have taken it all the way to Marina Del Rey, but I wanted to get home to Amy.

I saw lots of bikers on the path, along with pedestrians, joggers, baby walkers, and lots of ducks.

If there were more bike paths in LA (and the general plan indicates that more will be put in), I could see them being used for general commuting all over the city. The miles definitely fly by when you're on one -- even when the headwind picks up as you near the ocean.

No comments: