Thursday, June 07, 2007

Yet Another Cat's Eye Post

Today, I suffered my first flat tire on my bike. Luckily I was in a situation where Amy could come and pick me up. Luckier still, I wasn't in traffic when it happened.

And still luckier, the first episode of CAT's EYE was waiting for me on the DVR when I came home.

It provided the delights of old-school (circa 1983) Japanese animation, which is far less slick than today's computer-ink-and-paint anime, yet had soul in every line and brushstroke. And I was delighted to see that it was well-subtitled -- a definite improvement over the awful Hong Kong unlicensed dvd set I bought a few years ago. (One quibble: The script repeatedly referred to a full-of-himself museum curator as a "tanuki" -- a mythological Japanese raccoon-like creature -- yet the subtitles translated this as "old fox." That made ideomatic sense, except that a plot point in the episode involves a statuette of a Tanuki that the curator owns.)

Something I found amusing: Imaginasian TV's Website for CAT's EYE promotes the series by noting that its theme song is featured in the DANCE DANCE REVOLUTION videogame.

No comments: