Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Wi-Fi Watering Holes: Point Moorea, Wilshire Grand Hotel

Last week, I attended the LegalTech trade show at the LA Convention Center -- a fortuitously timed junket, as I would attend the Police Concert that night at the Staples Center, right next door to the Convention Center. The only issue was where to spend the hours inbetween doing work -- which required an Internet connection. I paid for and used the wi-fi at the Convention Center for awhile -- but it was spotty, and cut out entirely after a few hours.

I therefore grabbed up my laptop and hoofed it north a few blocks through downtown LA, until I got to the Wilshire Grand -- which, I had found out on another occasion, has free wi-fi in its public areas. I settled down in Point Moorea, a true watering hole -- a bar. WFWH etiquette demanded that I buy something, so I got a ginger ale -- for a measly $3.50. (At least I got to keep the can of Canada Dry after the bartender poured the golden liquid into a pilsner.) I managed to locate the single table that abutted an electrical outlet, and went to town. The Wi-fi signal was satisfyingly strong; and the waitstaff left me alone.

When I initially arrived, around 2:30 pm, the place was empty. As the afternoon wore on, and the neighboring high-rises released their wage-slaves, the joint filled up with 20-something proto-yuppies -- the kind who bounced Nerf footballs off of the pool tables while their pals were playing. I left for the concert just about the time when, I'm sure, the waitstaff were eyeing my table for customers who would actually buy booze.

Maybe next time I'll try the coffee bar there.

No comments: