Monday, January 26, 2009

Thunder-Joe!




When I first saw the Sean Connery Bond movie THUNDERBALL, I thought that the climactic underwater battle looked like something dreamed up by a kid playing with his GI Joes.  (In fact, I seem to recall that the GI Joe frogman costumes and accessories were inspired by that scene in THUNDERBALL.)

Apparently I'm not alone in making that association.  In an Entertainment Weekly interview, Stephen Sommers, director of the upcoming live-action GI Joe flick, says:

"I always loved the old Bonds . . .  In a very contemporary way, G.I. Joe is inspired by the memory of the kind of movies I saw when I was younger. I remember being in the theater for Thunderball and the big underwater battle at the end of that movie just blew my socks off. In G.I. Joe, there's an underwater battle under the polar icecap that's Thunderball times 10!"

Almost makes me excited to see the movie -- even though it's, y'know, a Stephen Sommers movie based on a bunch of toys.  (And not even the original, manly, full-size GI Joes, either -- it's the tiny, barely-articulated Joes from the '80's.  Sigh.)
Blogged with the Flock Browser

No comments: