Sunday, August 20, 2006

Hoo hoo, hoo hoo

My wonderful anniversary present from Amy is two tickets to The Who's concert in November at the Hollywood Bowl. I've been a fan of The Who since I saw "The Kids are Alright" on cable in the early eighties, but I've never had the chance to see them live. Considering that only two of the original Who are still on this mortal coil, I may not get the chance again.

The band, of course, is enjoying attention from a new g-g-generation of folks who know them from the themes they do for the various CSI series.

Which raises a trivia question: How many tv series have had well-known rock songs as themes? I'm guessing licensing difficulties and costs prevent it when a producer with less clout than CSI's Jerry Bruckheimer wants to do it. I recall that the Vietnam series "Tour of Duty" in the late 80's used "Paint it, Black" as its theme; and the nineties series "Get a Life" with Chris Elliott used REM's "Stand." The first episode of "Happy Days" used "Rock around the Clock" by Bill Haily and the Comets. There are probably other examples that I can't think of. I also recall a story that the producers of the short-lived comedy SLEDGEHAMMER! wanted to use the then-current Peter Gabriel song, but couldn't get the rights (or they cost too much).

Series starring the musicians, or facsimiles of them -- like the seventies "Jackson 5" and "Osmonds" cartoons, or the recent "Hi Hi Puffy Ami Yumi" animated series -- don't count.

1 comment:

Mike Barer said...

I've seen the Who live, they are a lot of fun to watch. I think Ringo Starr's son Zach plays drums for the Who now.