Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Heath Ledger, R.I.P.



In the mid-90's, the film adaptation of James O'Barr's comics series THE CROW became a footnote in movie history when the film's star, Brandon Lee -- son of Bruce Lee -- died during filming, victim of an on-set accident.

Now another comics adaptation will likely mark the final performance (in white greasepaint) of a young actor -- albeit one who is a bigger star. Heath Ledger, who will play The Joker in this summer's Batman sequel THE DARK KNIGHT, was found dead in his apartment this afternoon.

It's still not clear how or why this talented Australian actor died, possibly of an overdose of sleeping pills. But when watching THE DARK KNIGHT, I'm sure I'll have that slight feeling of horror mingled with sadness in the pit of my stomach that I had watching Brandon Lee mowing down thugs in THE CROW -- watching the onscreen images of someone who never got to watch the movie himself.

No comments: