Wednesday, February 06, 2008

iBook, You Book, We All Book for iBook



I'm typing this on a frivolous acquisition.

Back around the turn of the century, I thought Apple's initial iBook G3 Clamshell laptops looked stylish, with their unusual shape and translucent colored plastic. But it was (and is) a Windows world; and I didn't want to blow $1800 on a Mac just because I thought they looked cool.

But in 2008, with the Clamshells long phased out and obsoleted, one can pick one up for pittance. Hence, I bought an Indigo Clamshell on EBay. Somehow, the seller squeezed a recent Mac operating system (OS X 10.4) and Office 2004 onto the computer, despite its relatively small hard drive, memory and processor.



No current Mac software will fit on the computer, so the Imac is strictly for amusement. The legendary Apple reliability was in evidence, however; it locked onto my home wi-fi network as soon as I brought it home.

No comments: