Saturday, February 09, 2008

Musical Blogs

This past week I did a post about the Superbowl. In turn, my brother Steve did a blog post about anime. I'll continue the blog swap by taking a page from my Cousin Lee Goldberg's blog devoted to TV opening titles. Here are three of my favorite anime opening titles.



COWBOY BEBOP is one of my favorite Japanese-animated TV series. It had one of the best soundtracks of any TV series, animated or non-animated. This sizzling jazz piece, "Tank!" was composed by series composer Yoko Kanno and performed by her band, Seatbelts. (Copyright Sunrise.)



Six years after COWBOY BEBOP came SAMURAI CHAMPLOO, from the same director. This is one of many anime series that have used an English song as an opening theme. The hip-hop theme was apropos to this highly anachronistic approach to a samurai period piece. (Copyrighted by Manglobe.)



Then there's the credits to my all-time favorite anime series, CAT'S EYE. Combine Maurice Binder type symbolism with FLASHDANCE -era fashion and you get CAT'S EYE. Magicplay is dancing. Copyright TMS/Tsukasa Hojo/Coamix.

No comments: